ACL for system users?

Rubén Fernández Asensio rubeno at poshto.esperanto.cat
Thu Apr 12 22:45:04 EEST 2018

Hello all,

I'm setting up an IMAP server with dovecot. I've set up system users
with PAM authentication and Maildir maiboxes.

I'd like to share mailboxes among them, but regardless of what I try, I
bump into filesystem permissions.

I want to have Maildirs created for new users with the right
permissions. I even changed "UMASK" in file /etc/login.defs from 022 to
002, but the Maildirs are still created with 700 permissions:

ls -l /home/ximplet2/
total 4
drwx------ 9 ximplet2 users 4096 Apr 12 19:10 Maildir

Really there's no better way than running "chmod -R g=u
/home/ximplet2/Maildir" and "chmod g+s /home/ximplet2/Maildir" for every
user? Really??

I read that, before v.2, Dovecot had a "umask" option to do precisely
want I need, but it was removed.

How are we supposed to use ACL with system users nowadays?

Rubeno

P.S: my doveconf -n:

# 2.2.31 (65cde28): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.19 (e5c7051)
# OS: Linux 4.4.0-119-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
mail_access_groups = kundividantoj
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs
mail_plugins = acl
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart
extracttext imapsieve vnd.dovecot.imapsieve
namespace {
   list = yes
   location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEXPVT=~/Maildir/Komunujo/%%n
   prefix = Komunujo/%%n/
   subscriptions = no
   type = shared
}
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Malnetujo {
     auto = subscribe
     comment = Mesaĝoj ne finitaj nek senditaj
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Rubujo {
     auto = subscribe
     autoexpunge = 120 days
     comment = Ĉi tien iras la forviŝitaj mesaĝoj
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   mailbox Senditujo {
     auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Spamujo {
     auto = create
     autoexpunge = 30 days
     comment = Mesaĝoj markitaj kiel ne deziritaj
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   prefix =
   subscriptions = yes
   type = private
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
plugin {
   acl = vfile
   acl_shared_dict = file:/var/lib/dovecot/kundividitaj/shared-mailboxes
   imapsieve_mailbox1_before =
file:/etc/dovecot/sieve/imapsieve/report-spam.sieve
   imapsieve_mailbox1_causes = COPY FLAG
   imapsieve_mailbox1_name = Spamujo
   imapsieve_mailbox2_before =
file:/etc/dovecot/sieve/imapsieve/report-ham.sieve
   imapsieve_mailbox2_causes = COPY
   imapsieve_mailbox2_from = Spamujo
   imapsieve_mailbox2_name = *
   sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/.dovecot.sieve
   sieve_after = /etc/dovecot/sieve/final
   sieve_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.pipe +vnd.dovecot.debug
   sieve_global_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.pipe +vnd.dovecot.debug
   sieve_pipe_bin_dir = /usr/bin
   sieve_plugins = sieve_imapsieve sieve_extprograms
}
protocols = " imap lmtp sieve"
service auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     group =
     mode = 0777
     user =
   }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}