[bug] Auth cache, proxy and ITERINDEX

azurit at pobox.sk azurit at pobox.sk
Mon Apr 16 20:17:30 EEST 2018

Hi,

today we have exceprienced really major difficulties with our proxy
backend servers. Everything started after enabling auth cache:
auth_cache_size = 100M
auth_cache_verify_password_with_worker = yes
auth_cache_ttl = 1 hour
auth_cache_negative_ttl = 1 hour

Soon after we start receiving lots of calls from our customers about
'missing all e-mail messages'. This was in errors logs on master server:

Apr 16 14:37:10 server00 dovecot: imap(<censored_email_address>):
Error: autoexpunge: Couldn't create dovecot.autoexpunge.lock lock:
file_create_locked(/var/mail/vhosts/<censored_domain>/<censored_name>/home/dovecot.autoexpunge.lock) failed: safe_mkstemp(/var/mail/vhosts/<censored_domain>/<censored_name>/home/dovecot.autoexpunge.lock) failed: No such file or
directory

Looks like that all users, who are placed on proxy backends, were
logged correctly BUT not proxied to the right server so they saw empty
mailboxes (Dovecot also created some directories on master server).
What is worse, their email software deleted all local emails so they
are now downloading everything from scratch (100Gs of mails so it will
take some time).

After auth cache was disabled, things started to go to normal EXCEPT
users were reporting they don't see all folders - which was true, only
few on them were visible (INBOX, trash, sent etc.). We tried
everything to make them visible again, for example deleting indexes,
but nothing helped. Finally, removing option ITERINDEX from
mail_location helped.

Can anyone explain what happened? Thank you

azurIt