dovecot and postfix, help?

Mike Makuch 1mikemakuch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 20:47:37 EEST 2018

One tip: for checking whether or not you have access to your vps @
host:port you ought to use netcat or telnet from your localhost:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-netcat-to-establish-and-test-tcp-and-udp-connections-on-a-vps

I frequently use telnet since you can also type in the protocol to a
server (assuming the server expects ascii) and get a response out of it.
E.g.

Type:
     $ telnet xyzzy.com 80
Server response:
Trying 104.31.88.30...
     Connected to xyzzy.com.
     Escape character is '^]'.
Type:
     GET / HTTP/1.0
Server response:
     <!DOCTYPE html>
     <head>
         <title>XYZZY</title>
content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1,maximum-scale=1" />
     </head>
       <h1>You are in a twisty maze of passages, all alike.</h1>
       [snip]

And yes in this case "curl" would be more a appropriate utility (for
http) but not for other protocols that curl doesn't support.

If you telnet to a port that isn't opened and being listened on:

$ telnet localhost 4321
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying fe80::1...
telnet: connect to address fe80::1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Good day
Mike