Is the Doveadm HTTP API considered stable for production use?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Thu Aug 23 15:35:46 EEST 2018

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 8:14 AM, James Beck <james.beck at aa.net.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 09:54:44AM -0400, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>> If you don’t want to use the HTTP API, you can use the raw doveadm protocol.
>>
>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/Design/DoveadmProtocol
>>
>> -FG
>
> Thanks, I didn't know about that. I suppose testing the HTTP API and
> then switching to the raw doveadm protocol over TCP if it turns out
> "crashy" wouldn't mean too much work.

Why use the HTTP API at all?

I guess it helps integrators who don’t have direct socket access, but doveadm is much lighter than HTTP and so should always be more performant .. and it should be more stable as well.

(We connect via local socket, which will also avoid TCP overhead .. don’t know if that helps you or not.)

-FG