Is the Doveadm HTTP API considered stable for production use?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Thu Aug 23 17:42:21 EEST 2018

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 8:44 AM, Reio Remma <reio at mrstuudio.ee> wrote:

>>> Thanks, I didn't know about that. I suppose testing the HTTP API and
>>> then switching to the raw doveadm protocol over TCP if it turns out
>>> "crashy" wouldn't mean too much work.
>> Why use the HTTP API at all?
>
> How about JSON. :)

JSON and HTTP headers do make it easy to get started, but they’re inefficient compared to doveadm. JSON in particular limits us to UTF-8 text, so any application that needs to send non-UTF-8 payloads would have to apply an encoding layer. I’ve not looked into the HTTP API, so I don’t know what workaround might be in place to circumvent that limitation.

<shrug> Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

-F