Mailing list address harvested for spamming

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Sun Dec 2 03:10:00 EET 2018

On 12/01/2018 05:00 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> There's an extensive email etiquette post somewhere on the net
> explaining why setting 'reply-to' to the list is a bad idea.
>
> Reply-to is intended for the sender to explain that replies shouldn't
> be sent to the obvious sending address, but to another address.
> This is essential if, say, the sender is temporarily away from home and s using a friend's email service.
>
> It is unfortunate that there are user-agents that do not provide the
> reply-to-list' option.  And that there are mailing list programs that
> do not provide the proper list-headers to indicate the mailing list
> address.

The problem though is that then muscle memory with keyboard shortcuts
result in reply going to the user instead of list.

Netiquette posts are just someone's opinion, and they often don't take
into account the vastly different way different types of minds work.

Just as an example, I have a deaf friend who hates bottom posting
because the way captions always work is equivalent to top posting - new
content pops up above the old content, so the flow she expects is
opposite but netiquette nazis scream at her when she top posts.