Error: Corrupted record in index cache file

Orion Poplawski orion at nwra.com
Wed Dec 5 23:48:33 EET 2018

On 12/5/18 12:19 PM, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> On 05 December 2018 at 20:54 Orion Poplawski <orion at nwra.com> wrote:
>>

>> With dovecot-2.2.36-3.el7.x86_64 we had a couple hours where mail_plugins did
>> not properly include zlib for all of the needed services.  This seems to have
>> led to some corruption in our mdbox mailboxes.
>>
>> I've run doveadm force-resync on a number of users, but I'm still seeing
>> messages like this:
>>
>> dovecot[13563]: imap(USER): Error: Corrupted record in index cache file
>> /var/spool/imap/USER/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index.cache: UID
>> 67976: Broken physical size in mailbox INBOX:
>> read(zlib(/var/spool/mail/USER/storage/m.1203)) failed: Cached message size
>> smaller than expected (2978 < 8192, box=INBOX, UID=67976)
>>
>> Is there anything that can be done about this?  Can I safely delete the
>> dovecot.index.cache file?  I'm hesitant to do so since I understand that the
>> mdbox format uses the index to store mailbox information and deleting at least
>> some index files is a destructive operation.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Erasing the cache file causes dovecot to recache the mails on access. It can cause performance issues, but no data loss.
>
> Aki

Thank you for the confirmation.  Removing those cache files appears to have
fixed the corruption users were seeing on their clients.

Resting much more easily now....

- Orion

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/