argonid and dovecote

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Dec 6 22:15:40 EET 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 19:05:59 +0000, Larry Rosenman stated:

>On 12/6/18, 1:03 PM, "dovecot on behalf of Jerry"
><dovecot-bounces at dovecot.org on behalf of jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>    On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:38:32 +0000, Larry Rosenman stated:
>
>    >Because it is a PASSWORD hash, not an authentication mechanism.
>
>    Okay, that make sense. Perhaps, a note about that somewhere might prove
>    useful.
>
>    --
>    Jerry

>Where on the wiki would you suggest that be put?

I think that what was confusing, at least for me, is that the "doveadm-pw"
man page says:

-l     List all supported password schemes and exit successfully.
       There are up to three optional password schemes: BLF-CRYPT
       Blowfish crypt), SHA256-CRYPT and SHA512-CRYPT.  Their
       availability depends on the system's currently used libc.

I had assumed, obviously incorrectly, that I had to enter the scheme into the
dovecot conf file as indicated earlier.

Perhaps, for people like me that are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, a
notation to that affect might prove useful.

Just my 2 ¢.

--
Jerry