Upgrade to 2.3.1 has failed

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Fri Dec 14 07:19:55 EET 2018

> On 14 December 2018 at 02:12 "C. Andrews Lavarre" <alavarre at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Problem:
> We had Dovecot v2.2 working just fine under openSUSE Leap 42.3. But we
> upgraded openSUSE to Leap 15.0.
> In the process, Dovecot got upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3.1. It no longer
> works and I haven't figured out how to downgrade to the older working
> version.
>
> The key issue seems to be the change to requiring dh.pem and changing s
> sl_protocols to ssl_min_protocols. I think I've navigated both
> correctly, but it still doesn't work.
> The error is
> 	     auth: Error: stats: open(old-stats-user) failed: Permission denied
>
> 	as a consequence of which we get
> 		    imap-login: Error: Failed to initialize SSL server context: Can't
>     load SSL certificate: There is no valid PEM certificate.
>
> We have followed the instructions at 	https://wiki.dovecot.org/S
> SL/DovecotConfiguration
> 	1. We have created /etc/dovecot/dh.pem (yes it took five
> hours)
>
> 	2. We have edited 10-ssl.conf as directed by the Wiki:
> 			    	    ssl = yes
> 			    	    ssl_cert =
>     /etc/certbot/live/privustech.com/fullchain.pem
> 			    	    ssl_key = /etc/certbot/live/privustech.com/privkey.pem
> 			    	    ssl_dh = /etc/dovecot
/dh.pem    	    #(yes, it took five hours to create...)

Hi! You should use

ssl_cert =</etc/certbot/live/privustech.com/fullchain.pem
ssl_key =</etc/certbot/live/privustech.com/privkey.pem
ssl_dh =</etc/dovecot/dh.pem

> 			    	    ssl_min_protocol = TLSv1
> 			    	    ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!kRSA:!SRP:!kDHd:!DSS:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!3DES:!MD5:!PSK:!RC4:!ADH:!LOW at STRENGTH
> 			    	    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = no

You should set ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = yes.

> 	3. We have checked 10-ssl.conf against the 2.3 default at
> 		https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/doc/example-config/conf.d/10-ssl.conf
>
> 	4. We do NOT include the less than (<) symbol before the paths because then dovecot fails to load complaining it cannot find the files.

Yes, this is probably indication that you are missing the files or are chrooting dovecot in unsupported way. Not including the < symbol will not help with this.

> 	5. we have checked all the pem keys, certificates, and  dh
> files with cat, they all exist and are in the expected hash format.
>
> 	6. We have followed the instructions to set their permissions
> root:root 0444 and 0400 accordingly.
> 	7. We have rebooted the host.

This is correct.