Apple mail fails with Submission

Adi Pircalabu adi at ddns.com.au
Tue Dec 18 02:30:59 EET 2018

On 2018-12-18 07:33, Ruud Voorjans wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm running dovecot # 2.3.2.1 - Pigeonhole version 0.5.2 () - OS:
> Linux 4.18.0-12-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 18.10 with Submission.
> It works great except with apple mail (Iphone).
>
> I get an error with the MTA  (postfix):
> ""postfix/submission/smtpd[32552]: warning: non-SMTP command from
> mail.example.org [1][xx.xx.xx.xx]: Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit""
>
> with other mail-client(s) (Outlook (Desktop and Iphone app)) i have no
> problem and it proxy-sends the e-mail beautiful out to the recipient.

Hardly anything to do with Dovecot. When it comes to email clients Apple
Mail has been and is still one of the worst flops (no offence intended,
just my opinion based on personal experience). If you can reliably
reproduce it, try and log the raw SMTP conversation between Postfix and
the client by enabling per IP debugging in Postfix:
postconf -e "debug_peer_level = 20"
postconf -e "debug_peer_list = xx.xx.xx.xx"
postfix reload
where xx.xx.xx.xx is the unlucky client IP address.

Possibly some crappy SMTP PIPELINING implementation at the Apple end,
who knows.

--
Adi Pircalabu