Fatal: master: service(indexer-worker): child 493 killed with signal 11 (core dumped)

Tim Mohlmann tim at usrpro.com
Wed Dec 19 20:00:54 EET 2018

Dear list,

We been having some issues where the indexer-worker is crashing. This
happens on production servers which are handling a slight amount of
mail, but is also reproducible by moving messages. Also, users on my
server are complaining about "Trashed" items coming back etc.

Some details:

- Dovecot 2.3.2.1 in alpine:3.8 based Docker container. As part of the
Mailu distribution. (https://github.com/Mailu/Mailu)

- I've first seen this issues on my production server, which stores mail
on GlusterFS

- I've been able to reproduce running the Docker container on a Virtual
machine, using local storage.

- There is another Mailu user reporting the same problem on a different
VM provider / disk infrastructure: https://github.com/Mailu/Mailu/issues/751

- Libc: musl-1.1.19-r10

Output of dovecot -n:

# dovecot -n
# 2.3.2.1 (0719df592): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.2 (7704de5e)
# OS: Linux 4.16.3-301.fc28.x86_64 x86_64  ext4
# Hostname: 98a2726271d3
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_gid = 8
first_valid_uid = 8
hostname = mail.usrpro.io
log_path = /dev/stderr
mail_access_groups = mail
mail_gid = mail
mail_home = /mail/%u
mail_location = maildir:/mail/%u
mail_plugins = " fts fts_lucene quota quota_clone zlib"
mail_privileged_group = mail
mail_uid = mail
mail_vsize_bg_after_count = 100
maildir_stat_dirs = yes
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart
extracttext spamtest spamtestplus editheader imapsieve vnd.dovecot.imapsieve
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/auth.conf
  driver = dict
}
plugin {
  fts = lucene
  fts_autoindex = yes
  fts_autoindex_exclude = \Junk
  fts_lucene = whitespace_chars=@.
  imapsieve_mailbox1_before = file:/conf/report-spam.sieve
  imapsieve_mailbox1_causes = COPY
  imapsieve_mailbox1_name = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox2_before = file:/conf/report-ham.sieve
  imapsieve_mailbox2_causes = COPY
  imapsieve_mailbox2_from = Junk
  imapsieve_mailbox2_name = *
  quota = count:User quota
  quota_clone_dict = proxy:/tmp/podop.socket:quota
  quota_vsizes = yes
  sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_before = dict:proxy:/tmp/podop.socket:sieve
  sieve_execute_bin_dir = /conf/bin
  sieve_extensions = +spamtest +spamtestplus +editheader
  sieve_global_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.execute
  sieve_plugins = sieve_imapsieve sieve_extprograms
  sieve_spamtest_max_value = 15
  sieve_spamtest_status_header = X-Spam-Level
  sieve_spamtest_status_type = strlen
  sieve_vacation_dont_check_recipient = yes
  sieve_vacation_send_from_recipient = yes
}
postmaster_address = admin at usrpro.io
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth-worker {
  unix_listener auth-worker {
    group = mail
    mode = 0660
    user = dovecot
  }
  user = mail
}
service auth {
  user = dovecot
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 143
  }
}
service lmtp {
  inet_listener lmtp {
    port = 2525
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
}
submission_host = 192.168.203.6
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/auth.conf
  driver = dict
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " fts fts_lucene quota quota_clone zlib imap_quota
imap_sieve"
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = " fts fts_lucene quota quota_clone zlib sieve"
  recipient_delimiter = +
}

And the actual error log:

imap_1       | Dec 19 16:31:08