SIS feature request

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Dec 20 19:48:58 EET 2018

I tried SIS a couple years ago - I was very excited with the resulting
decrease in storage requirements but the undiagnosed intermittent issues
became too significant to ignore so I switched away.  Recently I was
thinking about it again.

The primary issue with SIS seemed to be links would be deleted even
though the source attachment files and related mails still existed.  It
was possible to either manually re-build the links or have a script scan
the mail error log and perform such.

I haven't looked at the code - but a thought for a possible "temporary" fix:

     1.  Whatever function in dbox code that performs the deletion of
links - prior to actually deleting call a new function that will verify
if any mails exist that reference it.  A new function, without modifying
existing code, may catch something the existing functions don't - and if
it logs the fact that it was called and found something...perhaps we can
find the flaw in the original algorithm.  Just a thought.

     2.  In the mail retrieval function, if the attachment link doesn't
exist - perform the relevant scan through the attachment database and if
found re-create the link automatically.  This should log an error but
indicate the recovery.

--
Daniel