Migration

Hans Brage hans at plattformen.se
Sat Dec 29 23:49:38 EET 2018

Hi!

I'm currently running an small imap-server on Dovecot 2.2.4 but will
retire that server. I've set up an new server with Dovecot 2.3.4 and
will migrate the mailboxes (maildir-format) from the old to the new
server. I'm planning to restructure the accounts a bit when migrating so
I need to move them one by one. Its only a few so thats not a big issue.

Both servers are using virtual accounts (users file).

I've understood that best method for migration is to run doveadm backup
-R from the new server. But I really cant figure out what other
parameters or settings that I need to perform that task and if it should
be run as user vmail or root.

Would be greatful for any tips, hints, links or similiar.

Regards,
Hans