BUG: cannot move messages to root mailfolder in namespace "There can be only one namespace with inbox=yes"

Marc Roos M.Roos at f1-outsourcing.eu
Mon Dec 31 15:47:48 EET 2018

 >> I can only move messages to a root namespace folder when specifying
 >> inbox=yes. That is strange because it is not even the inbox. I don't

 >> even get why it is not by default possible, maybe bug there?
 >>

 >This makes no sense. inbox=yes namespace means the namespace which has
 >'INBOX' folder as per RFC.

 With this configuration

 namespace {
  disabled = no
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  mailbox Archive {
    auto = create
    autoexpunge = 0
    autoexpunge_max_mails = 0
    comment =
    driver =
    special_use = \Archive
  }
  mailbox Archives {
    auto = no
    autoexpunge = 0
    autoexpunge_max_mails = 0
    comment =
    driver =
    special_use = \Archive
  }
  order = 0
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}
namespace {
  disabled = no
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = no
  list = no
  location =
mbox:/home/mail-archive/%u/Archive/:CONTROL=/home/mail-archive/%u/Archiv
e/control:INDEX=/home/mail-archive/%u/Archive/index:LAYOUT=maildir++
  order = 0
  prefix = Archive/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}

I get this error message from apple mail when I right click and choose
archive
"The IMAP command "UID COPY" (to Archive) failed for the mailbox "INBOX"
with server error: Mailbox isn't selectable"

If I add the inbox=yes, the dovecot logs are flooded with
Error: namespace configuration error: There can be only one namespace
with inbox=yes
namespace configuration error: There can be only one namespace with
inbox=yes in=0 out=398

 >> You have made the mistake of overloading the use of a parameter
 >> inbox=yes (or not creating a parameter to tell folder can be used to

 >> move messages to), there is indeed only one folder that gets
incoming
 >> messages delivered to, and that is the inbox=yes. You should have
 >> created a 2nd parameter specifying if a folder should be allowed to
 >> store mail.
 >>

 >You can deny this with ACLs. Or with filesystem permissions.
 >
 >> (I have been running this dovecot server for 20 years or so, and I
am
 >> really surprised about still running into issues on such basic
things as
 >> trying to put folders onto different storage. Not to mention the
lack of
 >> help you can get here. Is there some roadmap, features
implementation