Localhost imap server fails after upgrade from 2.2.33.2-1 to 1:2.3.2.1

Chris BL cpblpublic+dovecot at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:54:08 EET 2018

Hi Aki,

Yes, the same connect error: imap(meuser,)Error: net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission denied

The mail location in "doveconf -n" (belo) does not reflect my preferences.

In Alpine, if I acknowledge the error I get, which tells me to add
novalidate-cert in my pinerc file, it prompts me for my POSIX username and
password.  After that, I get my /var/spool/mail inbox, which is not what I
want.

doveconf -n
# 2.3.2.1 (0719df592): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.2 ()
# OS: Linux 4.18.0-13-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 18.10
# Hostname: myhost-t450s
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = " imap"
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_client_ca_dir = /etc/ssl/certs
ssl_dh =  # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {