Cannot delete IMAP Mail-Folder in Trash

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 5 22:55:28 EET 2018

> On 5 Feb 2018, at 17:32, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi <mailto:aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi>> wrote:
>

>> On February 5, 2018 at 6:16 PM Gabriel Kaufmann <mailings at typoworx.com <mailto:mailings at typoworx.com>> wrote:
>>

>> Doesn't anyone have an idea?
>>
>> It looks like Dovecot and/or Thunderbird simply "ignore" sub-folders of
>> IMAP-Folder in Trash/ as they are also not shown in Trash-Folder.
>> Sub-Folder for INBOX and other IMAP-Folders work perfect (using
>> layout=fs Mailbox).
>>
>> Why doesn't this work for Trash?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Gabriel Kaufmann
>>

> Can you try running this as root and provide output?
>
> doveadm -Dv -o mail_debug=yes mailbox delete -u username Trash/Somefolder
>
> Aki

I had the same with Mac Mail.app. I decided to rm -rf the sdbox file on the master and replica and I won.
It was persistant though and I think it had to do with the following:

I let my mail deliver in yearboxes, which have many many subfolders, some are just “placeholders”. They appear different in the view.
Regular mailboxes are “dark” in colors, placeholder boxes are “white” in colors (see attachment), where winkels is the “placeholder” folder and “action” is the regular mailbox in which mail gets delivered.

I could not get rid of those “winkels” kind of folders”. Only by force removing them from the filesystem hierarchie.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Cheers
Remko