Dovecot and /dev/rand

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Tue Feb 6 04:46:07 EET 2018

There's a (2014 I think) patch in dovecot rpm for Red Hat / Fedora
ecosystem that was last update with 2.2.9 (patch last updated for that
release)

I want to know if the problem it solves still exists in 2.3.x branch.

The patch is called "dovecot-2.2.9-nodevrand.patch" and is attached.

It allegedly addresses an issue with installation in chroot that does
not have /dev/random

Red Hat bugzilla 1026790

I am apparently not authorized to see that bug so I don't know much
about it, but with many code changes in 2.3.0 from 2.2.x I am wondering
if the alleged issue was solved a different way or if the patch should
be ported to 2.3.0 when packaged for people who might trigger it.

Thanks.