Cannot delete IMAP Mail-Folder in Trash

Gabriel Kaufmann mailings at typoworx.com
Thu Feb 8 02:11:33 EET 2018

> I have the same Problem with thunderbird on Linux.
>
> It looks like thunderbirds imap-implementation is a little bit broken.
> Even if thunderbird tried once to get a mailbox, it persists in the
> profile.
>
> I have FS-Layout in dovecot. Thunderbird somtimes try to get a
> submailbox with INBOX/firstlevel^secondlevel^thirdlevel
>
> Then it doesn't find this mailbox on the server (for sure, it's
> INBOX/firstlevel/secondlevel/thirdlevel) tb tries to get next
>
> INBOX/firstlevel^^secondlevel^^thirdlevel
>
> and then INBOX/firstlevel^^^^secondlevel^^^^thirdlevel and so on. And
> on each first login, tb tries to get all of them again and again...
>

> Go to $TB-profilefolder/ImapMail/ and delete all of the *.msf files
> and search for the wrong mailboxes, described above... you will finde
> them.
>
> And they are probably also in some config-files in the profile.
> user.prefs i think, and panacea.dat i could find them.
>
> Delete all of the entries (be careful). Close and restart firefox.
> Good look, the phantom-folders are gone.
>

> jakob

I tried that. In addition to that I did Trash -> Context-Menu ->
Settings and "Repair". I also deleted Trash.sdb and Trash.msf in
ImapMail-Dir of given Mailbox (after closing Thunderbird of course and
restart afterwards). I think the repair-button does more or less the
same than deleting msf-files.

Trash was rebuilding... but the Folders are still there. I was able to
get rid of some other "Junk folders" (that not even where shown in my
Thunderbird-Trash inside Trash.sdb folder). But the folders causing
current issue are still present after sync! And on server-side (vmail
Mailbox on imap-server) these folders are also there!

I'm still not able to delete them in Thunderbird. Still getting error
Folder contains children, delete them first". Obviously this isn't
possible as those sub-folders are not shown in Thunderbird! On
server-side of imap (vmail Mailbox) there are in fact sub-folders in
those folders.

Best regards

Gabriel Kaufmann