Best mail encryption solution for per-user

tai74 at vfemail.net tai74 at vfemail.net
Fri Feb 9 03:20:12 EET 2018

Hai,

Do you have advice about Dovecot plugins for mail encryption:

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailCrypt

https://0xacab.org/riseuplabs/trees

I like NaCL based encryption but the MailCrypt plugin is better
because it's maintained by Dovecot developers (is this correct?)

Hard to understand MailCrypt docs so may I ask, may I provide per user
encryption? I don't like global because I want every user to have
different encryption based on their password. But I don't see the
useful of per-folder encryption. Docs for TREES are easier to
understand it will work on a per-user encryption using the user
password to decrypt the needed keys.

How about indexing? Does native fast Dovecot indexing must be turned
off for one of these or both? Is this a big performance hit? And how
to turn off indexing on a per-user basis?

Thank you so very mcuh