extra IMAP folders: how to make all clients use the same Sent folder?

Stanislaw Findeisen fixpoint.combinator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 01:47:54 EET 2018

Dear All

I have just setup IMAP with Maildir, but unfortunately some clients
create their own folders instead of using those specified in
15-mailboxes.conf . What could be the reason?

Here's what it looks like:

> B list "" *
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren \Sent) "." "Sent Messages"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." Gesendet
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." Entw&APw-rfe
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren \Trash) "." Trash
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." Papierkorb
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren \Drafts) "." Drafts
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren \Sent) "." Sent
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." Ausgang
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren \Junk) "." Junk
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX
> B OK List completed.

Here for example "Gesendet" (meaning "Sent" in German) is a folder
created by some Android client app. This app uses it to store its sent
mail, while another client uses the Sent folder.

Also, is it correct that all those folders (both pre-made and extra) get
created directly in the user's maildir, alongside cur, new, tmp and
Dovecot index files? Shouldn't there be any subdir?

> # dovecot --version
> 2.2.13

Thanks!
Stanisław