zlib plugin producing errors on 2.3.0

Carsten Uppenbrink info at uppenbrink.net
Sat Jan 6 01:33:26 EET 2018

On 24.12.2017 15:58, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use the zlib and imap_zlib plugins on FreeBSD. As of 2.3.0, my logs
> are producing these errors every so often, but AFAICT the messages
> themselves aren't getting corrupted.
>
> Panic: file ostream-zlib.c: line 36 (o_stream_zlib_close): assertion
> failed: (zstream->ostream.finished ||
> zstream->ostream.ostream.stream_errno != 0)
> Fatal: master: service(imap): child 80128 killed with signal 6 (core
> not dumped - set service imap { drop_priv_before_exec=yes })
> Panic: file ostream-zlib.c: line 36 (o_stream_zlib_close): assertion
> failed: (zstream->ostream.finished ||
> zstream->ostream.ostream.stream_errno != 0)
> Fatal: master: service(imap): child 80266 killed with signal 6 (core
> not dumped - set service imap { drop_priv_before_exec=yes })
>
> They always come in pairs like that. Following is my doveconf. Let
> me know what else I can provide here. Thanks!

I had this errors in my logs, too.

It happens only to users who using K-9 Mail on Android. They all had a
setting enabled called "Use compression on network: Mobile, Wi-Fi,
Other" in "Incoming server settings". I didn't looked for other imap
clients, because without this setting enabled the errors vanished.

But it is likely that there are other imap clients who try to compress
the transfer.
No stored mails are corrupted, it is only the connection somehow.

Carsten