Pathetic Upgrade Question: 2.0.9 to 2.3.0

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue Jan 9 02:11:11 EET 2018

On 09/01/18 11:46, John Tulp wrote:
> Should I send a response to your message via an email to
> dovecot at dovecot.org ?
> Or just reply to you directly like this ?

You should always reply to the mailing list unless told otherwise.

> For CentOS version, I need to support 32-bit x86 a while longer.

Ok.

https://repo.dovecot.org/

>  I really did not want to install from
> source, I was very surprised that I did not find a link to download a
> completely built backage on dovecot.org.

The official dovecot repo is fairly new, but also GhettoForge has been
providing dovecot packages for CentOS 6 and 7 for quite some time now.

> Regarding yum update, yes, I would assume that I would not run yum
> update after that build/install.

That's a bad idea.  You need to run updates on a regular basis to fix
new vulnerabilities that are discovered such as the very recent meltdown
and spectre vulnerabilities (look these up, they're serious).

> I'm really perplexed as to why yum update would not just take me to
> 2.3.0 ???  I guess the RedHat folks just include "certain" releases of
> packages in the repositories ?

See: https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting

Peter