Managesieve and virtual users

CP secadm2007 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:18:26 EET 2018

On 01/11/2018 01:32 PM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, CP wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to setup sieve on a Debian 9 install with virtual users.
>> Perhaps I'm getting old, but I can't figure out why managesieve is
>> not working for virtual users. I have about 20 v users on this machine
>> and only one has also a real unix account. The sieve rules work for this
>> single unix account  but not for any other account.
>
> Hmm, your conf contains just one passdb and one userbd:
>
> mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
>
> sieve =
> file:/home/vmail/%d/%n/sieve;active=/home/vmail/%d/%n/.dovecot.sieve
>
> userdb {
>   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
>   driver = static
> }
>
> So, how does the real user authentificate?

Sorry my bad , the real user does not login for mail ,  as I said to Aki
probably the rule is not working
as expected and on the contrast it works OK for the other v user.

> Second, you've violated:
> https://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home?highlight=%28home%29|%28mail%29
>

> make home and mail_location distinct. I guess, above should read:
> home=/home/vmail/%d/%n/

If I switch it now will it affect how the users are working now ? Will
it produce trouble  if I leave it as is ?

> You've wrote "managesieve" is not working. That means, sieve is working?
> So, has vmail write permission to : /home/vmail/%d/%n/sieve is it a
> directory? Does your users log into managesieve with domain, too?

Yes sieve is a dir , everything is  owned by vmail user, no permissions
problem. Sieve is working for other user
so I guess something is wrong with rules

Thank you guys for all the help

George