Questions about SPECIAL-USE IMAP extension

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Jan 12 16:25:54 EET 2018

On Fri Jan 12 2018 01:29:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Steffen
Kaiser <skdovecot at inf.h-brs.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, Joseph Tam wrote:
>> I'd like to configure my dovecot service to use the IMAP SPECIAL-USE

> well, in my experience SPECIAL-USE is just a suggestions to clients. Check
> RFC 6154 for MUSTs, you'll find only few. Hence, how the client (or the
> server) behaves in a special case is implementor-defined.
>
> I do expect that any client supporting SPECIAL-USE honors the server
> setting (first time it connects to the server or everytime, but at least
> once) and creates the mailboxes it uses itself.
>
> Otherwise, Dovecot can autocreate the mailboxes regardless of its use:
> https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxSettings

There was a similar discussion about this on list some time ago, about
whether or not Dovecot could utilize special use 'aliases' that your
clients may want to use by default, and Dovecot would automatically map
those requests to a single mailbox.

E.g.:

Outlook clients would see/use 'Sent Items'

Thunderbird would see/use 'Sent'

But both would be mapped to a single mailbox 'Sent' (or whatever you had
defined as the actual mailbox).

Personally I would love to see this implemented.