Questions about SPECIAL-USE IMAP extension

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 00:02:29 EET 2018

Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at inf.h-brs.de> wrote:

>> I'd like to configure my dovecot service to use the IMAP SPECIAL-USE
>
> well, in my experience SPECIAL-USE is just a suggestions to clients. Check
> RFC 6154 for MUSTs, you'll find only few. Hence, how the client (or the
> server) behaves in a special case is implementor-defined.

In other words, expect the unexpected.  I'm especially curious what
happends when you have multiple mailboxes with the same special-use.

Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org> wrote:

> There was a similar discussion about this on list some time ago, about
> whether or not Dovecot could utilize special use 'aliases' that your
> clients may want to use by default, and Dovecot would automatically map
> those requests to a single mailbox.
> Personally I would love to see this implemented.

Yeah, that would be cool.  For an existing installation, though, an admin
might have merge all existing mailboxes into the one actual mailbox to
keep the confusion down.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>