Submission/SMTP proxy server

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Jan 16 07:11:38 EET 2018

On 1/14/2018 6:18 PM, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> Op 1/12/2018 om 8:18 PM schreef Daniel Miller:
>> Sorry if this seems elementary - but a question on
>> implementation/usage/purpose of this.  My understanding is at this
>> time the SMTP proxy server is only that - it does not implement any
>> further functionality.  So its availability now is purely for testing
>> purposes.  Is that accurate?
> No. This is a proxy that adds functionality that is normally either
> rather difficult to achieve or not implemented for common SMTP software
> (e.g. BURL).
My question was probably poorly phrased.  Based on the thread "New
Dovecot service: SMTP Submission (RFC6409)" of last month it appears
that BURL & URLAUTH are implemented in this proxy - but no clients
presently support them?  And the particular use case of directly placing
the mail into a "Sent" folder is not presently available (though
hopefully soon!)?  So again, at this time, what would I use this service
for besides testing it in advance of future development?

>> I secondly assume that this intended for trusted clients only - so
>> this is not intended for processing email submitted via port 25.
> It is a submission service. Port 25 is for mail transport. Read
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6409 for more details about the
> difference between the two.
Understood.  Just wanted to verify.

>> And thirdly - if a separate firewall/anti-spam/virus/authentication
>> service is run outside of the MTA (like ASSP) then the Dovecot proxy
>> should be inserted between that and the final MTA?
> Dovecot submission is meant to be talking to the client directly, so it
> would be in front of it all. So, I'd expect Dovecot<->ASSP<->MTA.
> Dovecot would in that case take care of the authentication.
That would work with trusted networks - but when using various services
(including ASSP) to limit connections by IP's (particularly to combat
brute-forcing attacks) I would think Dovecot should be within the
protection and not directly exposed.  Or are there other security
features built-in that I'm not aware of?

--
Daniel