Strange thing on log rotation front

Andreas Jobs andreas.jobs at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jan 20 16:23:42 EET 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 05:00:33PM +0100, Luciano Mannucci wrote:
> I've decided to rotate the dovecot logs automatically on my freebsd
> 10.4 server using the system's newsyslog feature. I started with
> logfile.info putting the line
>
> /var/log/dovecot/logfile.info          600  31    *            @T16  ZCU /var/run/dovecot/master.pid 30
>
> which should send a SIGUSER to the master process, which it seems to
> do for I see in the log file:
>
> master: Warning: Sent SIGKILL to 1 log processes
> master: Warning: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=69871 uid=0 code=kill)
>
> though the log process doesn't die.
>
> What did I do wrong?

Remove "U" from the flags:

U indicates that the file specified by path_to_pid_cmd_file will
  contain the ID for a process group instead of a process.

And sometimes "B" (don't insert info message about log rotation) is useful too.

--Andreas
--
! Andreas Jobs                                  Network Operation Center !
!                                               Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum !