Quota plugin creates IMAP folder

Thorsten Hater thorsten.hater at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:03:43 EET 2018

Hi everyone,

I have noticed recently that Dovecot creates lock directories
under users' Maildirs which look like IMAP folders. This is bad
since users will see IMAP folders that are not supposed to be
there.

In my logs I see

dovecot: imap(...): Error: file_create_locked(/.../Maildir/.vsize.lock)
failed: Is a directory

The directory in question

# ls /.../Maildir/.vsize.lock/
cur/
dovecot.index.log
dovecot-uidlist
maildirfolder
new/
tmp/

so Dovecot seems to think this to be an IMAP folder.

I am using Dovecot 2.2.27 under Debian, built from source,
the lock_method is set to fnctl, and the quota plugin uses the
maildir method.

Can somebody advice me on how to fix this?

Best regards,
 Thorsten