force-resync and replication

Hanspeter Kunz hkunz at ifi.uzh.ch
Mon Jul 2 22:51:40 EEST 2018

Hi list,

I am using dovecot 2.2.27 (c0f36b0) on two servers with (dovecot)
replication between them. I do not use dovecot-directors or -proxies. I
just have a floating IP on the servers to do failover.

I had the problem today that in one user's INBOX and one if his
mailfolders got flooded with hundreds of thousands of duplicates.

How this happened is another issue (of someone has an idea it would be
more than welcome) for which I will start another thread.

I remedied the situation by:

1. switching off dovecot on the standby-server to avoid duplicates
getting replicated.

2. kicking the affected user from the master-server

3. running a doveadm force-resync on all his mailfolders (after
removing the indices).

Thereby I did get rid of the duplicates.

(Note: doveadm deduplicate did not work because of index error)

My question is now, what steps I need to take before enabling
replication again (i.e. switching on the standby server), in order to
avoid duplicates (if any) being replicated back to the master-server.

Any hints are welcome.

If you need more information I am happy to provide it, let me know.

Best regards,
Hp