Storing Messages in the cloud

M. Balridge dovecot at r.paypc.com
Tue Jul 10 21:37:19 EEST 2018

Quoting Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>:

> On 07/10/2018 09:23 AM, dclist at list.jmatt.net wrote:
> >> A colleague asked me if it was possible for Dovecot to store messages
> >> in the cloud.
> >
> > Does he have a more specific description of what he wants than "in the
> > cloud", or does he just like using buzzwords? - From a user
> perspective,
> > I would say that Dovecot, or any other IMAP server, already stores
> > messages "in the cloud".  They are on a remote server, accessible
> from
> > any location by any device that has a functional IMAP client.
>
>   I'm glad someone else said it. ;)  When I read the OP's message I just
> sat there shaking my head.  As for his colleague, the local McDonald's
> is hiring.

While I chuckled as well, I imagine what Jerry might be asking is how to use a
remote file storage protocol or even a key-value storage backend, or something
else that simply provides for remote back-end storage.

I suppose this is for those shops who do not want to spill any potentially
confidential data - it's easy to store all of the data remotely with symmetric
encryption so it's opaque to the remote provider - but do not or cannot deal
with tasks and maintenance of backing up and maintaining the data and storage
equipment to support its operations.

I also imagine the hard-working crew at Timo, Inc. have such things for sale
to facilitate this with security and good performance, but they won't be
inexpensive.

See: http://www.dovecot.fi/products/

"Dovecot Object Storage" is probably what you're asking about, but you know
the drill with software that doesn't have displayed pricing: you probably
cannot afford it.

=M=