Question about verbose_proctitle

J Doe general at nativemethods.com
Wed Jul 11 02:19:44 EEST 2018

Hello,

I have a question relating to the detail that the verbose_proctitle parameter enables for ps.

I have TLS configured for IMAP as follows:

    /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
        ssl = required
        ssl_cert = </path/to/cert.pem>
        ssl_key = </path/to/key.pem>

        protocols = imap lmtp

        service imap-login {
            # Disable insecure IMAP over TCP 143
            inet_listener imap {
                port=0
            }
        }

        . . .

        verbose_proctitle = yes

If I have a single MUA connect (Apple Mail in this case), I see:

    $ ps aux | grep -i dovevot

        dovenull  5552  0.0  0.1  18820  5444 ?        S    18:53   0:00 dovecot/imap-login [1 connections (1 TLS)]
        vmail       5553  0.3  0.1  13612  4304 ?        S    18:53   0:00 dovecot/imap [user at example.com 1.2.3.4 IDLE]

The first part makes sense to me - imap-login is showing the user being connected via imap-login and with TLS.
The second part, however, shows the IMAP session with the username, IP address and IMAP command (IDLE),
but it does not state TLS.

Does this mean that I have logins for IMAP connections protected by TLS but the actual IMAP traffic (mail
contents, etc.), is *NOT* configured to use TLS ?  That is to say, IMAP traffic is flowing over port 993 without
TLS ?

From the wiki [1] it appears to state that I only have to configure TLS settings for IMAP if the IMAP protocol is
being secured via a *DIFFERENT* TLS certificate.

Is this correct ?

Thanks,

- J

Sources: