folders not visible on copied mail folders

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Tue Jul 17 06:36:07 EEST 2018

We had a user quit recently.  Three days ago I copied his entire Maildir folder to another user
to that user's Maildir/.JoesEmail.  I changed ownership and made the permission 'chmod -R
og-rwx .', just like all the other files/directories of the new owner.  This didn't work to show
the new folder.  Today, in his Thunderbird client, I subscribed to the 'JoesEmail' folder.  I
restarted dovecot and restarted Thunderbird.

In Thunderbird, the 'JoesEmail' folder now shows, but it is empty and shows none of the
subordinate mail folders.  I ran 'doveadm index -u newowner JoesEmail' and
'doveadm force-resync -u newowner JoesEmail'.  This didn't help.

I did this once before with a previous user who quit and only changed ownership, no
subscribing, no doveadm, and that worked.

What am I doing wrong?

THX --Mark