best practices for migrating to new dovecot version

Shawn Heisey apache at elyograg.org
Tue Jul 17 23:24:12 EEST 2018

On 7/17/2018 1:16 PM, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> You can just rsync everything over to new system.

I did a few initial rsyncs some time ago.  So a new rsync will be
relatively quick.  There's 25GB of data and over a million files in the
copy on the new server, which is probably a few months out of date
compared to the online server.  The online machine is very slow and I
hate asking it to calculate anything, so I don't know how much data is
left to sync.

If the recommendation is to rsync everything and not exclude certain
files, then I would like to ensure that dovecot rebuilds as much of its
data as I can.  Are there some doveadm commands I should run on the new
server after the rsync and before I bring it fully online?  I am OK with
having a few hours of downtime if it would help dovecot make sure things
are really clean.

At this time, I have not deployed Solr as the search engine for dovecot,
but as I am heavily involved with that community, I probably should. If
there are any guides about switching an existing setup over to Solr,
please point me at them.

Thanks,
Shawn