Restricting SSL/TLS protocol versions on Dovecot 2.2.22

J Doe general at nativemethods.com
Mon Jul 30 21:42:51 EEST 2018

> On Jul 29, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
>
> Am 29.07.2018 um 21:02 schrieb J Doe:
>> Hello,
>> I have a question regarding SSL/TLS settings for Dovecot version 2.2.22.
>> In: 10-ssl.conf there are two parameters:
>>     ssl_protocols
>>     ssl_cipher_list
>> ssl_protocols is commented with “SSL protocol to use” and ssl_cipher_list is commented with “SSL ciphers to use”.
>> If I want to disable SSLv3, for example, do I need to use both parameters or will disabling SSLv3 ciphers in
>> ssl_cipher_list do the same thing ?
>> So is:
>>     ssl_cipher_list = !SSLv3
>> …equivalent to:
>>     ssl_protocols = !SSLv3
>>     ssl_cipher_list = !SSLv3
>

> No. SSLv3 is not a cipher but a protocol.
>
> "ssl_protocols = !SSLv2 !SSLv3" is what you want to specify.
>
> For ciphers you could define by ssl_cipher_list see "openssl ciphers -v”

Hi Alexander and list,

I think there may be a discrepancy in the documentation.

On the wiki on the “Dovecot SSL Configuration” page [1] under the section “SSL security settings” it says:

    ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:!aNULL

In the conf.d/10-ssl.conf it states:

    # SSL protocols to use
    #ssl_protocols = !SSLv2

    # SSL ciphers to use
    #ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:!aNULL

My new question is:

    1. Are the SSL/TLS protocols to use and/or exclude specified in “ssl_protocols”, “ssl_cipher_list” or both ?

Thanks,

- J

Sources:
    [1]  See: https://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration