More and better logging

Tom Sommer mail at tomsommer.dk
Mon Jun 25 11:28:16 EEST 2018

In general I feel there is a lack of debug and "when things go
wrong"-logging in Dovecot (information that should perhaps be provided
with a verbose toggle).

I was debugging problems with sasl user logins and a generic "SASL
CRAM-MD5 authentication failed: Connection lost to authentication
server" error in postfix, but nothing is logged in Dovecot when the
error occurs.

After extensive debugging I finally discovered auth-penalty and
auth_penalty_to_secs after digging in the code. I suspect this to be the
cause, but truly I have no way of confirming this, since no log is
provided when this is triggered? - it would be nicer if events such as
these were simply logged for better debugging and troubleshooting.

Two cents :)

Thanks
--
Tom