Outlook 2016 & IMAP Trouble with dovecot

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Tue Mar 6 13:51:12 EET 2018

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 10:22:36 +0100, Jakob Curdes stated:

>> Thanks,
>>
>> that means that outlook is useless as an Imap client then . This is
>> the whole idea behind
>> imap, to be able to do work while off-line and sync changes when
>> on-line or I get it wrong ?
>>
>> thanks anyway
>
>I would see it a bit more general: Outlook is mostly useless as email
>client in general (not looking at the groupware functionality). Even
>with Exchange or other server types, many simple things do not work
>reliably and never get fixed.
>And the simplest things are impossible, e.g. displaying the full email
>address of a sender instead of the name only (to make it harder to spoof
>senders). I suspect 2016 is the 2nd-last version of Outlook to be
>released and from then on it will be browser-only.
>That said, IMAP support is "strange" and has always been - OL trusts its
>own .ps ort .ost file more than the server which circumvents the general
>idea of IMAP. If you need Outlook, avoid IMAP and if you need IMAP,
>avoid Outlook....
>
>JC

What version of Outlook are you using? I have "2016 (16.0.9029.2016) 32-bit
installed and it does not exhibit the problems that you allege it does?

Have you ever tried any of the MS Forums?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook

There are others of course, and I have had good success in the past getting
answers. In my experience, the source of the problem is usually PEBKAC.

--
Jerry