Authentication Problem with dovecot-2.3.0.1

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 22:07:15 EET 2018

I am a little confused here.

I have been running 2.2.34 which I installed in /opt/dovecot2.2
I installed 2.3.0.1 to /opt/dovecot23

I then used config files from /opt/dovecot2.2/etc/dovecot to
/opt/dovecot2.3/etc/dovecot and all I did was sed -i.BAK
's/dovecot2.2/dovecot2.3/g'. Dovecot started and was running file.

Next, I manually crafted config files for 2.3.0.1 based on the example
config files provided which diff-ing those with what I had for 2.2.34. I
doub't if I missed something crucial during the process.

1. I realized that I cannot start 2.3.0.1 when I enable submission, since
my Exim MTA is already using that port. This persists even if I tell the
submission protocol to use a different port than 587. I tested 2587, but it
would appear that 587 is hard-coded!

2. I realize that "unix_listener auth-client" service ceased to exist!

3. *I realized that while 2.2.34 runs with default_pass_scheme = MD5-CRYPT,
2.3.0.1 would not run with it.*

4. I have run dovecot -n from my 2.2.x installation and 2.3.x installation
and here is the diff from the two files.

I am confused why authentication is failing with dovecot-2.3.0.1 when it
uses 2.3.x config files using MD5-CRYPT scheme while it is succeeding with
dovecot-2.2.34 using the same.
*Mar 07 22:30:22 auth: Info: sql(user.name at domain.name
<user.name at domain.name>,192.168.55.97,<4CETl9dmscvAqDdh>): Requested
DIGEST-MD5 scheme, but we have only MD5-CRYPT*

Maybe the problem is elsewhere??? I need a 3rd eye to help me.

For now

root at gw:~wash/public_html # sdiff dovecot-2.2.txt dovecot-2.3.txt | less
# 2.2.34 (874deae): /opt/dovecot2.2/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf  | # 2.3.0.1
(ffd8a29): /opt/dovecot2.3/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE i386  ufs                              # OS:
FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE i386  ufs
# Hostname: localhost                                         <
auth_cache_size = 20 M
auth_cache_size = 20 M
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5
auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb
 auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/                                    base_dir =
/var/run/dovecot/
default_login_user = dovecot
default_login_user = dovecot
disable_plaintext_auth = no
 disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_gid = 0
 first_valid_gid = 0
first_valid_uid = 26
first_valid_uid = 26
hostname = gw                                                 hostname = gw
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n/Maildir:INDE
 mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/virtual/%d/%n/Maildir:INDE
mail_plugins = " quota"                                       <
namespace inbox {                                               namespace
inbox {
  inbox = yes                                                     inbox =
yes
  location =                                                      location =
  mailbox Drafts {                                                mailbox
Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
 special_use = \Drafts
  }                                                               }
  mailbox Junk {                                                  mailbox
Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
 special_use = \Junk
  }                                                               }
  mailbox Sent {                                                  mailbox
Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
 special_use = \Sent
  }                                                               }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {                                       mailbox
"Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
 special_use = \Sent
  }                                                               }
  mailbox Trash {                                                 mailbox
Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
special_use = \Trash
  }                                                               }
  prefix =                                                        prefix =
}                                                               }
passdb {                                                        passdb {
  args = /opt/dovecot2.2/etc/dovecot/passwd.master_users.ext  |   args =
/opt/dovecot2.3/etc/dovecot/passwd.master_users.ext
  driver = passwd-file                                            driver =
passwd-file
  master = yes                                                    master =
yes
  pass = yes                                                      pass = yes
}                                                               }
passdb {                                                        passdb {
  args = /opt/dovecot2.2/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext     |   args =
/opt/dovecot2.3/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql                                                    driver =
sql
}                                                               }
plugin {                                                        plugin {
  mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size
mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
 quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
 quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
  quota_warning = storage=95%% quota-warning 95 %u
quota_warning = storage=95%% quota-warning 95 %u
  quota_warning2 = storage=80%% quota-warning 80 %u
 quota_warning2 = storage=80%% quota-warning 80 %u
  quota_warning3 = -storage=100%% quota-warning below %u
quota_warning3 = -storage=100%% quota-warning below %u
}                                                               }
service auth {                                                  service
auth {
  unix_listener auth-client {                                 <
    mode = 0600                                                  <
    user = mailnull                                                <
  }                                                                        <
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
 unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = mailnull                                                group =
mailnull
    user = mailnull                                                 user =
mailnull
  }                                                               }
}                                                               }
service quota-warning {                                         service
quota-warning {
  executable = script /opt/dovecot2.2/scripts/quota-warning.s |
 executable = script /opt/dovecot2.3/scripts/quota-warning.s
  unix_listener quota-warning {
 unix_listener quota-warning {
    user = mailnull                                                 user =
mailnull
  }                                                               }
  user = dovecot                                                  user =
dovecot
}                                                               }
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/gw.crownkenya.com   ssl_cert =
</usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/gw.crownkenya.com
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it                          ssl_key =
# hidden, use -P to show it

submission_max_mail_size = 4 G
userdb {                                                        userdb {
  args = /opt/dovecot2.2/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext     |   args =
/opt/dovecot2.3/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql                                                    driver =
sql
}                                                               }
protocol lda {                                                <
  mail_plugins = quota                                        <
}                                                             <
protocol imap {                                                 protocol
imap {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 5
 mail_max_userip_connections = 5
  mail_plugins = " quota imap_quota"                          <
}                                                               }
protocol pop3 {                                               | protocol
lda {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 5                             |
 mail_plugins = quota

Maybe I am just suffering brainlock and need to debug auth further, but I
have see a question about this auth issue already from another poster, and
it's not been answered by anyone.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,