Virtual Mailboxes redux

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Tue Mar 13 15:17:03 EET 2018

On 2018-03-06 (11:40 MST), @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> I’ve created virtual mailboxes in dovecot, and they show up in various clients, but the folders contain no messages. (I will get an ‘empty” folder icon named “@virtual” and an empty folder icon named “month” inside it. Is there a way I can verify what dovecot THINKS should be in the virtual folder via doveadm?
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd4wnjrs3y5iswi/Screenshot%202018-03-06%2011.38.25.png?dl=0>
>
> # cat /usr/local/etc/dovecot/virtual/month/dovecot-vitual
> # ~/Maildir/virtual/month/dovecot-virtual
> *
>  all younger 2678400
>
> namespace {
>  location = virtual:/usr/local/etc/dovecot/virtual:INDEX=~/Maildir/virtual:CONTROL=~/Maildir/virtual
>  prefix = @virtual.
>  separator = .
> }

I have played around with this quite a bit, and all I get is an empty virtual mailbox. I've renamed the prefix to "virtual." "v." and "smart." with no change in behavior, the mailbox name changes, but no messages show up.

The file /usr/local/etc/dovecot/virtual/month/dovecot-vitual is owned by root and has permissions 644 as does the file /usr/local/etc/dovecot/virtual/week/dovecot-vitual.

I've even tried creating a milder in the home folder matching the name of the virtual prefix, though I did not expect that to work.

I reloaded and restarted dovecot many times.

Regardless of settings, doveadm shows no messages in the virtual mailboxes, though they do who up in

 # doveadm mailbox list -u kremels
@virtual
@virtual.day
@virtual.month

 # doveadm search mailbox "@virtua" -u kremels
doveadm(kremels): Error: Couldn't get mailbox '@virtua' GUID: Mailbox doesn't exist: @virtua
 # doveadm search mailbox "@virtual" -u kremels
 # doveadm search mailbox "@virtual.day" -u kremels
 #

So, doveadm certainly knows the mailboxes are there, they just don't have messages in them.

I'm at a loss as to what to check next as it seems the paths and permissions to the dovecot-virtual files must be OK, since they are being read to create the virtual folders. So, i assume I have something wrong gin the content, but

*
  all younger <number of seconds>

Is straight out of the documentation.

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes