Accentuated email addresses stored in LDAP

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Mon Mar 19 08:30:30 EET 2018

On 19.03.2018 07:58, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 18.03.2018 um 23:25 schrieb André Rodier:
>> Every other alias works, but not those with accents. They are correctly
>> stored in the LDAP database, using base64.
>
> Why do you even think a character like 'é' would be legal in the local
> part of an email address?
>
> Alexander

Hi!

This is slightly more complicated than that. UTF-8 is legal part of
local part of an email address, if SMTPUTF8 is used (as per RFC 6532).
Dovecot does not yet fully support UTF-8 in certain parts, particularly
we do not yet support RFC 6855 (IMAP Support for UTF-8), but we are
working on getting that to work, after which you can log in with UTF-8
usernames and passwords reliably.

Aki