Is possible to override Dovecot variables or Sieve env vars and extdata lookups

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Mon Mar 19 08:31:43 EET 2018

On 19.03.2018 06:40, MRob wrote:
> Are the dovecot environment variables mutable? I'd like to override like:
>
> set "${env.vnd.dovecot.username}" "someuser at example.org"
>
> Or better, I prefer to override %u Dovecot variable during the userdb
> lookup.
>
> Is either possible?
>
> PS, when Sieve does extdata lookups for username key, where does
> username come from? %u?  Does an override as above change the dict
> lookup key for extdata?

You could override the %u variable, but overriding it in userdb will
have surprising consequences. Basically this amounts to same as changing
username for the user. So don't. Please set some other thing like,
my_special_var=something in userdb, then you should be able to access it
as env.vnd.dovecot.my_special_var

Aki