Controlling dovecot caching decisions

Sivathmican Sivakumaran athmi100 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:35:17 EET 2018

Thanks Aki,

Just a followup regarding this. I set  "mail_always_cache_fields" to the
following in dovecot configuration file:

mail_cache_fields = flags,imap.body,imap.bodystructure
mail_always_cache_fields = imap.body,imap.bodystructure

I run the following command to ensure that these configurations have an
effect on the caching behavior:

doveadm index -u bob INBOX

I notice that "data->wanted_fields" in index-mail.c is as follows:

(MAIL_FETCH_STREAM_HEADER | MAIL_FETCH_STREAM_BODY |
MAIL_FETCH_RECEIVED_DATE | MAIL_FETCH_SAVE_DATE | MAIL_FETCH_PHYSICAL_SIZE
| MAIL_FETCH_VIRTUAL_SIZE | MAIL_FETCH_UIDL_BACKEND | MAIL_FETCH_GUID |
MAIL_FETCH_POP3_ORDER)

Since I made the changes above I except  data->wanted_fields to
contain MAIL_FETCH_IMAP_BODY
and MAIL_FETCH_IMAP_BODYSTRUCTURE. This tells me that these fields are not
being cached?

Am I doing something wrong here?