Permissions on /var/log/dovecot

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 21:19:41 EET 2018

On 19 March 2018 at 22:06, @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> /var/log/dovecot exists and has a lot of logging in it, but I get errors
> (in mail.log) on an always_bcc action in postfix:
>
> mail postfix/pipe[13015]: 401cvS0R8BzbSkL: to=<backup+073.kremels-kreme at doamin.tld>,
> relay=dovecot, delay=398058, delays=398045/13/0/0.04, dsn=4.3.0,
> status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: Can't open log file
> /var/log/dovecot: Permission denied )
>
> What should the permissions on /var/log/dovecot be? (they are 640
> root:wheel on FreeBSD, identical to mail.log)

Is Postfix really supposed to write to this file? Why??

Make Postfix to write it's work in it's own log file please. Let an MTA
have it's separate log file from POP3/IMAP4.

Plus, if dovecot is able to write to a file owned by root:wheel, then there
is a BIG problem right there!!!

What does your doveconf -n have?

--
Best regards,