Slow imap connection to local dovecot server

Lothar Paltins lptmp10 at arcor.de
Sun Mar 25 02:06:16 EET 2018

Hi,

this is my setup:

OpenSuse tumbleweed
dovecot 2.3.0.1 (ffd8a29)
thunderbird 52.6.0

I'm running a local dovecot server on my private network to be able to
access my saved mails from several computers on the network. The network
is behind a firewall, therefore I'm only using plain imap on port 143
with plain text password authentification. But very often the login from
thunderbird to the dovecot server takes a very long time, even if
thunderbird and dovecot are running on the same machine. It can take
more than a minute until I can read a message. I dont't have this
problem with the remote imap servers of my mail providers.

Does anybody know, why this happens or how I could debug this issue?