dovecot logging

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Tue Mar 27 17:06:26 EEST 2018

Hello,

I'm currently playing with a number of dovecot instances to evaluate my "next generation setup"
For now I run 6 instances of dovecot, one per docker container:
 - 2x redirector
 - 2x backend #1
 - 2x backend #2

All docker container use syslog. And there the problems starts.
Every instance identify itself as "dovecot" That's not helpful :-/
I tried to set an instance name but that change nothing.

My options are now
 - let rsyslogd separate the sources by IP
 - use logfiles files
Are there other?

Currently the code use a fixed string "dovecot":
https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/lib-master/master-service.c#L415

I would ask if it's possible to use the instance name as syslog identifier, too?

Andreas