2.3.1 Replication is throwing scary errors

Michael Grimm trashcan at ellael.org
Sun May 6 21:48:18 EEST 2018

Hi Andy

Andy Weal <andy at bizemail.com.au> wrote

> Hi all,
>
> New to the mailing lists but have joined up because of above 2.3.1 Replication is throwing scary errors
>

> Brief system configuration
>     MX1 - Main
>         Freebsd 11.1-Release-p9
>         Hosted on a Vultr VM in Sydney AU
>         MTA = Postfix 3.4-20180401
>         Dovecot = 2.3.1
>         File system = ufs
>     MX2 - Backup
>         Freebsd 11.1-Release-p9
>          Running on bare metal - no VM or jails
>         MTA = Postfix 3.4-20180401
>         Dovecot = 2.3.1
>         File system = ufs ( on SSD)
>

> Brief sequence of events
> 	•     apx 10 days back upgraded both mx1 and mx2 to dovecot 2.3.1_2 from 2.3.0   (service dovecot stop, portmaster upgrade, service dovecot start)
> 	•     both systems ran ok with no errors for 10 days.
> 	•     Last night I shutdown mx2 and restarted it a few hours later
> 	•     within minutes i was getting the following types of errors on mx2
>          May 06 12:56:29 doveadm: Error: Couldn't lock /var/mail/vhosts/example.net/user1/.dovecot-sync.lock: fcntl(/var/mail/vhosts/example.net/user1/.dovecot-sync.lock, write-lock, F_SETLKW) locking failed: Timed out after 30 seconds (WRITE lock held by pid 1960)
>
>   Before i venture down the rabbit hole of fault finding and excess coffee consumption I was wondering if any of you had any updates on the problems discussed below.

As Reuben already stated: nothing has been "solved" regarding this issue with replication and 2.3.1 dovecot, yet.

There are about 10 reports of this kind, here, and in the German dovecot list, I am aware of. All dovecot setups differ in every aspect like OS or virtual versus bare metal servers, thus I am convinced that it solely has to do with some dovecot code that differs between either 2.2.35 or 2.3.0 and 2.3.1.

Hoping this issue becomes recognised by the developers as a showstopper for upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3, soon.

As you are using FreeBSD, you will have a dovecot22 and dovecot-pigeonhole04 port at hand to omit upgrading to the erroneous 2.3 version for the time being. (Thanks to the port maintainer who is following this ML!)

With kind regards,
Michael