External Program for Authentication?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Wed May 16 22:18:44 EEST 2018

Is it possible to run a bash script for authentication where a 0 exit
code indicates success and a non-zero is failure? What I'm trying to do
is create a shadow IMAP server that authenticates against a different
server. That way my server will use the same passwords as an existing
server.

So what I would need is for dovecot to pass the username and password to
my script, I attempt to log in remotely and if I succeed I allow access
on my side. My side will be used to configure black lists and where spam
is dragged from their side to my side. (I'm a spam filtering company)