[ceph-users] dovecot + cephfs - sdbox vs mdbox

Danny Al-Gaaf danny.al-gaaf at bisect.de
Wed May 16 22:42:49 EEST 2018

Hi,

some time back we had similar discussions when we, as an email provider,
discussed to move away from traditional NAS/NFS storage to Ceph.

The problem with POSIX file systems and dovecot is that e.g. with mdbox
only around ~20% of the IO operations are READ/WRITE, the rest are
metadata IOs. You will not change this with using CephFS since it will
basically behave the same way as e.g. NFS.

We decided to develop librmb to store emails as objects directly in
RADOS instead of CephFS. The project is still under development, so you
should not use it in production, but you can try it to run a POC.

For more information check out my slides from Ceph Day London 2018:
https://dalgaaf.github.io/cephday-london2018-emailstorage/#/cover-page

The project can be found on github:
https://github.com/ceph-dovecot/

-Danny