different TLS protocols on different ports

Michael Slusarz michael.slusarz at open-xchange.com
Wed Nov 14 22:21:26 EET 2018

<
> I stumbled upon RFC 8314 *) and I found it a welcome option to enforce more modern protocols/ciphers.
> IMAPS/SUBMISSIONS aren't used widely (at least to my knowlege, many postmaster used to configure IMAP+SUBMISSION and STARTTLS)

"IMAPS" has been used forever.  Every installation I can think of supports 993.

Same with submission.  465/587 has been a standard port for awhile now.

In fact, these are the only ports someone like a Google will allow you to connect to.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

> Switching Clients to complete new ports is a chance to separate and dry out legacy MUA's

There is no switch to do.  These ports are well-known and well used.