Mail slowed down to a crawl...

StarionTech (IMAP) jeff at stariontech.com
Fri Nov 16 18:05:58 EET 2018

Yes, I thought all of those things too.  Spent a good part of yesterday eliminating them as the cause.

top and iotop do not show any issues.  No spam filtering on this box (it’s a separate server/software).  Drive is 1/3 full.  No smart errors.

The queue problem (and I don’t know why this isn’t handled better) turned out to be a couple of corrupted messages in the queue.

Had about 400 messages in the postfix queue, as soon as I deleted the two corrupt messages, all 400 went out in almost 30 seconds.  I found those two messages from log entries, something about qmgr couldn’t delete or move the message, permission denied.  The messages had no attachments and looked to be typical mail message traffic.  I didn’t open them up though to see what was wrong.

The postfix queue problem is fixed, but message retrieval is still extremely slow, so I’m still thinking there’s a dovecot issue.  No error messages from dovecot or postfix that I can see.

I thought I read something about storing mail in maildir vs. some other format, or even something about authentication errors causing slow dovecot transactions.

Jeff J.