Multi-server but small scale

Martin Johannes Dauser mdauser at cs.sbg.ac.at
Wed Nov 21 09:52:51 EET 2018

Hi,

if you have only one pair of servers, I think replication via dovecot's
dsync (or doveadm via ssh) where each server holds all emails as a
local storage would be easiest.

There is a caveat with shared folders though. And dovecot replicates
only emails. The index is not included, which means for example that
you'd need 2 databases for quota - otherwise emails would count twice.
Well and any manual index management needs to be done on both sides.

https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication

Running a cluster filesystem or NFS as a common base is possible but
needs some adjustments of dovecot like turning off caching or memory
mapping, which in turn decrease performance.

This is only some short handbook knowledge as I haven't implemented
replication yet.

Greetings
Martin Johannes Dauser